Installing Net Framework 3.5 on Azure Windows Server 2012 R2
For whatever reason the default build of Server 2012 R2 on Azure comes with updates that prohibit the installation of .Net Framework 3.5 which happens to be a pre-req for dirsync and several other microsoft utilities.
Finding the fix for this was a real pain, so please enjoy the fruits of my work:
1. Go to 'Programs and Features' and click on 'view installed updates'
2. uninstall KB2966828 and/or KB2966827 from your server
3. Launch powershell as an administrator
4. run the following command (without quotes): 'Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core'
the .Net Framework should install successfully. if it doesn't, you may need to copy the \sources\sxs folder from a server 2012 R2 disk to your azure VM and include a '-source c:\whatever\sxs' in your command (example: Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source C:\_install\sxs).
5. run windows update and update everything.
you should be good to go.
Much thanks to the author of this article: